Sunday, February 28, 2016

Update on Tex's eye

Hi everyone!

I thought I would give you an update on Tex’s eye emergency that began in January.  We are still dealing with it and will be for a long while. 

When this began, he had to go to the doctor several times a week.  The appointments have gone from every day, to every 2 days, to twice a week, to once a week and now every other week. 

He was last seen on Feb 23rd.  The doctor found that he has kind of taken one step forward and one step backward.

The good news is that the pressure seems to be steady and not increasing. The steroid drops are slowly being weaned. He was using one drop three times a day.  Last week, the doctor lowered that to one drop two times a day for two weeks.

The bad news is that his vision is still very blurry. Because it is not getting better, the doctor did what he called an ultrasound of his eye. The machine scanned both his eyes and broke down the eye into layers. By doing so, the doctor could see each layer and how inflamed and swollen it is. He could also compare the good eye to the bad eye.

The results came back that his right eye is very inflamed in the very back of the eye where the retina is.  This is not where the original inflammation was located. His original problem was the very front of the eye, which was inflammation of the iris. The fact that it migrated to the rear of the eye is very bad. It is due to the fact that he waited so long to see the doctor. The doctor reiterated that he was within hours of losing his eye sight in that eye if he had not been seen on that fateful day in January.  The doctor also stated that it could take 1 to 3 years for his eye sight to get better, if it even does at all, but he has to get all the inflammation down first before we will know anything for sure.

So, because of this new information, the doctor added another eye drop to his arsenal. This drop is one that can penetrate to the rear of the eye. Most eye drops cannot reach the rear of the eye. The only other way to get to the rear of the eye is with injections into the eye. We are hoping that this drop will reduce the swelling and not need the injections but that is to be determined.

So, he is now using two different drops. One is twice a day and the new one is just once a day. He will do this for two weeks and will then get another ultrasound of both eyes to see how they have reacted.

Not what we wanted to hear but we are staying positive and hoping and praying for the best!

Not much has been happening here otherwise.  It is still the rainy season in Seattle, so we haven’t been able to get outside much.  Last week we had several sunny days in a row and it was so nice to be able to sit outside with the dogs and enjoy the sun’s rays and soak up some Vitamin D.

Will post again soon!

~Until next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment