Friday, January 22, 2016


Well, how can it be that two months have past since I have blogged??!!  It has been a crazy two months, that is for sure!


In December, Tex and I flew home for the birth of our second grandson.  Our oldest daughter, Megan and her husband Aaron, have a little boy, Caleb, who is now 17 months old and our youngest daughter, Amanda and her husband James, just had their first child, a boy as well!

Kegan Emit Harrison was born at 4:46 pm on December 15, 2015 and was 7 lbs even and 20 inches even. 

His birth story is a little crazy because of what all was happening at the same time.  Kegan was born on a Tuesday.  The day prior, I (Susan) came down with a bad stomach virus.  I could not stay out of the bathroom and was extremely nauseas.  Tex and I spent the day taking care of Caleb but I was so sick I slept all day so Tex had babysitting duty. 

Late Monday afternoon, Amanda had a doctor appointment and the doctor stripped her membranes.  Within a few hours, she started having contractions but they were not regular.  About 10 pm Monday night, James started throwing up.  OH NO!  James now has the virus!

The contractions started getting stronger so she finally had to make James get up and take her to the hospital around 4 am.  James was very nauseas and felt horrible.  About 6 am Tex woke up and he was throwing up and had diarrhea.  OH NO!  Tex now has the virus!

So, in recap, James, Tex and I now all have the horrible stomach virus and Amanda is in labor.  Just wonderful!

Around 10 am Tuesday, I got ready and went to the hospital but I was still extremely nauseas and super weak.  I could not eat a thing.  James felt the exact same.  We stayed with Amanda all day at the hospital.  James mainly slept just as I had the day prior. 

During the day, I would keep checking on Tex at home.  He could not stop throwing up and could not stop the diarrhea.  He was the only one who had the double whammy.  James just threw up and I just had diarrhea even though we both we extremely nauseas and tired.

Finally about 1pm, Tex decided that he was now super dehydrated and needed to go to the emergency room.  Since we were all at a hospital downtown about 30 minutes away, our good friend and neighbor, Johnny, took Tex to an ER that was just a few miles from our house.  They kept him at the ER and gave him a couple of bags of IV fluids as well as some nausea medicine.  In fact, he was still in the ER when little Kegan was born at 4:40.  Tex didn’t even get to see Kegan until Kegan was released from the hospital the next evening.

And poor James, he couldn’t even stand beside the bed as Amanda was pushing.  He was sitting in the recliner when Kegan was born even.  He was just so sick!

Thankfully, throughout all of this, Amanda never got sick!  We think the common denominator was Caleb.  He and Megan had been sick the week prior to our arriving.  James, Tex and I all hugged and kissed on Caleb and Amanda didn’t.  He must have still been carrying the virus when we arrived. 

Even through all of this chaos of everyone being sick, Amanda stayed calm and in control.  She was a trooper and did a great job!  Little Kegan is amazing and is such a calm, happy baby.  He never really cries and has been sleeping 3-4 hours at a time since he was born. 

It was super hard having to leave little Kegan when he was just under a week old but Tex had to fly back to Seattle for work.  I was able to stay a few more days and flew back on Christmas day.  Kegan was 10 days old when I left. 

Before we left, we were able to take a few pics.  We totally forgot to get Megan, Aaron and Caleb just by themselves and we forgot to get a pic with Tex, me and the grandsons.  Oh well.   


It is very hard being away from our grandkids but we are very fortunate to have technology to make it tolerable.  Caleb Facetimes with us every day or two.  It is so fun to see him and watch him play and just to talk to him.  We have even been Factiming with little Kegan, even though he doesn’t know it quite yet!  LOL! 

Another way we are keeping in touch is a little different than usual.  Amanda has a baby camera in the crib that is made by Smugmug.  It has an app that we can open and see and watch and even talk to Kegan when he is in his crib.  Amanda can move the camera any where in the house in OKC and we can see and speak to them from Seattle.  Pretty cool!


While in OKC, we celebrated Chrstmas the weekend before Amanda was due.  One of the presents we opened was the following from Megan and Aaron.

Yep!  We are now expecting our third grandchild in August 2016!  Megan was about 6 weeks along when we arrived in OKC.  Megan and Aaron are so excited!  We are thrilled and Caleb has no idea what is about to happen!  I am not sure he is going to like not being the center of attention when baby #2 comes along!

SO, there you have it!  We go home to celebrate grand baby #2 and find out grand baby #3 is on his/her way!  We are so lucky and extremely blessed to have 2 healthy grandsons and are so excited for #3 in August!

In my next post, I will update you on the RV upgrades we decided to do in January.  Let’s just say it is a very expensive month!

Until next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment